Our Trusted Partners

File an amended return

We know taxes were difficult this year. If you’ve discovered an error on tax forms submitted to the IRS, you may need to file an amended return. We can help.

Do I need to amend my tax return?

Due to recent tax law changes, there may be credits and deductions that you’ve earned and haven’t taken. An expert Tax Pro can make sure you get every dollar you deserve.

Amend with confidence

This may be the first time you’ve filed an amendment, but it doesn’t have to be difficult. Our expert Tax Pros will navigate you through new tax laws to find every dollar you’ve earned.

Set up an Appointment

Got a question? Ask away

If you made a basic math error, the IRS would usually correct the error or reach out to you for more information. If you forgot a form, the IRS would add it; however, they don’t have your records, and the IRS changes are not always to your benefit. If you forgot a deduction or credit, you could only get the benefit if you file an amended return. The IRS doesn’t require you to claim a tax credit, only income (and expenses when you have self-employment or rental property).

Here are some mistakes for which you might need to file an amended return:

  • Using an incorrect or less beneficial filing status
  • Not reporting all your income
  • Claiming too many, or not enough, dependents
  • Not claiming all the credits and deductions you are eligible for

The IRS allows you to file an amended return for all open years. An open year usually includes the three years after the due date or filing date or two years after the taxes are paid in full, whichever is later. When a tax return is under audit, the return is considered open, and the issues under audit are eligible for amendment.

To file an amended tax return, you must use the current form 1040X, which covers changes to the forms 1040 and 1040SR. Speedy Tax Pros can help you file an amendment, or you can learn more about filing an amendment yourself.

Typically, it takes up to 16 weeks for the IRS to process amended returns. However, you can check the status of your amended return at Where’s My Amended Return on the IRS website.

Contact Our Winning Team

Our staff is comprised of people who exemplify the values we hold in high esteem; honesty, knowledge, integrity, and compassion, thereby ensuring the best possible service to every client, every time. We apply all our 20 years of experience into every detail.

Call 855-660-0720